A story in the Mirror and widely shared on Facebook has told of how a Deaf man was allegedly asked to leave a Gormet Burger Kitchen restaurant due to having a hearing dog with him – a situation that sadly happens to many people with hearing dogs.
Another customer in the restaurant at the time expressed her disgust at what she saw, pointing out in a widely shared Facebook post that the restaurant had broken the law.
The company has now said: “This in no way reflects the values of the company and we are truly sorry for the upset that was caused. We have taken this matter very seriously. All our restaurants accept assistance dogs and we are taking immediate action to ensure this doesn’t happen again.”
Extract from the Mirror:
A Gourmet Burger Kitchen customer has branded the chain a ‘disgrace’ after witnessing a manager throw a deaf man out of the restaurant.
Louise DeNew says she was inside the Wimbledon branch of the restaurant in London on Saturday afternoon when a “middle-aged deaf gentleman and his wife” were thrown out – ‘because they had a hearing assistance dog with them.’
“The small dog clearly wore an assistance dog harness and the deaf gentleman tried to show the manager the dog ID card on its lead,” Louise said.
She claims that despite protests from the couple and other customers, the manager still ordered them out of the establishment.
Louise says she and her partner were so upset by the events, they put a formal complaint into the manager who, she alleges, “just shrugged and arrogantly stated it was GBK policy”.
Read the rest of the story here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/deaf-man-thrown-out-gourmet-11025754
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people