This post is in association with our supporter, InterpretersLive!
At Virgin Media, we want everybody to enjoy our great products and services. That’s why we’re doing everything we can to make them accessible for everyone.
Watch this information in BSL below:
We recently extended the hours of our video relay service in our customer care centres so you can use our service Monday to Friday 9am until 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 9am until 4pm. If an interpreter isn’t available immediately, simply hold or try again later. Outside of working hours you can leave your contact details in a video message and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
We are now extending this service to some of our retail stores, so anyone who uses British Sign Language (BSL) will be able to take advantage of our video remote interpreting service and talk to a member of our team in-store with the assistance an interpreter via video link.
We have introduced this service from 15th August to our Newcastle, Bristol, Leicester and Norwich stores for a trial period until the end of 2017. During this time will evaluate how useful our BSL users found the service, with a view to rolling it out across more of our stores.
So, when you see the video relay symbol in the window of our store, come on in and our team will be happy to help you; discussing the great range of mobile and cable products we have on offer or by helping you out with your existing products or services.
We also provide a helpful text relay service, to find out more head over to our accessibility page: http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/sustainability/accessibility/virgin-phone.html
Find out more about InterpretersLive! by clicking here!
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people