Today, in a move that marks back to school week, Google has transformed its homepage to celebrate BSL and the first ever school for deaf children in the UK, opened by Thomas Braidwood in 1760.
They’ve also released a video teaching the BSL alphabet which you can see below:
The Braidwood Academy, in Edinburgh, was famed for using its own method of teaching children with hearing loss, by combining a system of sign language, lip reading and the study of articulating.
Braidwood particularly focused on the use of natural gestures to help emphasise the meaning of words.
And just like many Brits have accents, depending on where they reside in the UK, BSL also has many regional dialects and its own slang terms.
Google consulted with national charity Action on Hearing Loss to create the video. The charity are asking people to spell their name in BSL and share it with them on Twitter at their account: @actiononhearing
Paul Breckell, chief executive of Action On Hearing Loss said: “It’s wonderful to have British Sign Language featured in the world’s most popular search engine. As a charity we are always happy to support the work that promotes better awareness of hearing loss, and highlights the history and culture of BSL.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children