This post is in association with our supporter, Sign Solutions.
Three is launching a new in-store Video Relay service to help Deaf customers to get the most out of their mobile services.
For the past three years, in partnership with Sign Solutions, Three has enabled customers to communicate with them, via a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter on the Three website, using their webcam, tablet or mobile device.
Watch this information in BSL below:
Three is now extending the partnership to provide BSL users with this level of support in-store.
Deaf customers will be able to communicate with in-store staff via a video connection on an iPad that connects them to an interpreter. Interpreters will relay customers’ questions to members of staff who can support with purchases and customer services enquiries there and then.
Three has provided staff with dedicated training to ensure they give these customers the best possible in-store experience.
The scheme will initially be piloted in four stores across the UK:
- London White City – Unit 1152 White City, Westfield London Shopping Centre
- Burnley – 35 The Mall
- Cardiff – 9A Capitol Shopping Centre
- Liverpool – 60 Church Street
Steven Cocker, Head of Executive Office Operations at Three UK, said: “This pilot extends on our commitment to give all of our customers the best possible experience with Three. This means providing the support needed to make our products and services accessible for everyone. We introduced Video Relay for customers online three years ago and are excited to be able to build on this service in-store.”
Sean Nicholson, CEO of Sign Solutions, said: “The existing online platform Three uses has already transformed the experience for many of its customers. We’re delighted to be continuing our work with Three, using technology to provide more inclusive services for all customers, both online and in-store.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people