Deaf Business Academy is delighted to be hosting the 3rd Deaf Business Awards in June 2018.
So far awards have been won by a total of 9 innovative and successful Deaf entrepreneurs. Each award celebrates their hard work, dedication and success in business… not an easy task!
To watch this information in BSL click play below:
The Deaf Business Awards were born out of recognising that deaf people in business are still excluded from mainstream business.
From the many, many national business awards held in the UK; how many deaf-led businesses are nominated? And how many win?
To our knowledge, the number is very low and mainstream business events are still very inaccessible. That is why we decided to do something about it! Deaf business people are just as talented and successful and we want the world to know.
Our awards are for D/deaf-led business only, bridging the equality gap with mainstream business awards. Our events are fully accessible and allow Deaf business owners, entrepreneurs and the self-employed a rare opportunity to network, support and celebrate each other in style.
Over the 4 years since its inception the Deaf Business Awards has continued to grow in popularity and attendance and we are growing again!
We are proud to include 2 new categories of award this year. We know that there are some wildly talented people in the community and we want our awards to reflect that!
Here is the awards list:
- Best UK Deaf Business
- Best Creative Business
- Best Business Start-up
- Outstanding Development
- Outstanding Contribution
Do you know a deaf person or Deaf-led business who deserves to be celebrated for their achievements? Well now you can! You can nominate them to win a Deaf Business Award. It’s easy just visit our website, click on ‘Deaf Business Awards’ and everything you need will be there.
The awards event will be hosted in Liverpool this year and is open to everyone. We hope you join us in celebrating Deaf-led business in the UK!
To get the full nomination criteria for each award (BSL & English), just visit our website www.deafbusinessacademy.co.uk – Nominations close on 28th January 2018.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children