I’m Louise and I am a member of the Fundraising Team at SignHealth (a supporter of this site). We work hard to improve the health and wellbeing of people who are Deaf with services like DeafHope, BSL Healthy Minds, Interpreter Now and much more.
I have joined the team to focus on our fundraising events. One of which is sign2sing, a fun annual event now in its eighth year. Participants learn a specially written song in sign language and perform it during sign2sing week- this year running from February 5th-11th 2018. Each group that registers receives a free DVD which includes the full signing song and a tutorial to help you get started.
This unique event has grown from strength to strength, it started off as a Guinness World Record Breaking initiative. “The most people performing sign language simultaneously to the same song in different locations is 116,980 and was organised by the charity SignHealth in schools across the UK on February 6th 2013”. Now that we have secured this record breaking title, I am focusing on how to get more people involved signing and singing each year.
This year, I hope to make my mark on sign2sing. Now that we have launched our song, resources and website, I can focus on bringing some new ideas to sign2sing for 2018. I am aiming to pull some ideas from my background, my previous job was in theatre and before that I worked for an events company in Ireland- in fact, some ghoulish characters from that company have been practising the song for 2018!
The best part about working on sign2sing so far for me has been the warm response to the event, particularly from those who have participated before. This annual event now has a firm place in the diary for so many schools and organisations, but we want there to be even more!
Could you get involved? There are so many ways that you can:
- Sign-A-Line: Send us footage of you and your group practising our song for 2018- outtakes accepted!
- Register: Recruit your local school, Brownie group, Choir, Business, Sports Club etc. to join sign2sing 2018.
- Fundraise: Raise much needed funds for SignHealth by holding a sign2sing workshop or have a sign and sing off with another group.
Any new ideas are welcome; we like to think outside the box! If you would like to discuss this event further, get in touch email@example.com or 0203 947 2605
Register your sign2sing event here http://sign2sing.org.uk/register-now/
P.S. Most of our offices are signing environments. We are making our Head Office a signing environment as well. I am doing my BSL level 1 and am loving it. Wish me luck!
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children