A heart-warming story covered on Concord Monitor has revealed how Marvel Comics responded to the mother of a deaf boy when she wrote to them telling them that her son wouldn’t wear his hearing aids.
Christina D’Allesandro thought her message would end up in the spam folder, but was amazed to get a series of replies.
First, Marvel sent them a West Coast Avengers cover with the character Hawkeye wearing a hearing aid (in his right ear). As the website says: “The storyline is that the archer who is appearing in the blockbuster “Avengers” movie once had an adventure during which he saved people, but also damaged his hearing while doing so.”
Then they followed this up by sending Anthony an image of himself as a superhero called Blue Ear, then finally, an image of his superhero self with Hawkeye.
Unsurprisingly, Anthony is now wearing his own ‘blue ear’ hearing aid once more. It’s great to find out that a huge company like Marvel would take the time and effort to make a deaf child’s day, week and maybe even year, like this. Top work.
With thanks to Caroline O’Neill.
For the full story, go to: http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/330760/real-life-heroes?page=full
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people