If Deaf people didn’t already like Ryan Gosling enough (based on the fact that the whole world seems to quiver at the knees when the guy appears on screen), the actor went up a few more notches in our books marked ‘Hearing people we quite like’ when he visited a charity event at Texas School for the Deaf on Saturday. He took two other stars, Michael Fassbender and Rooney Mara along with him.
The trio is currently filming an unnamed Terrence Malick movie in the area, and they shot B-roll for their film while at the event. Although they didn’t run the 5K race, Gosling paid $50 for $1 glow-in-the-dark cotton candy from a booth staffed by deaf children, the foundation’s director, Anne Adams, told the Washington Post.
“The film crew has been parking some of their trucks on our campus during filming because we have a 67-acre campus right in the center of the city and it’s often used for such purposes,” Adams wrote in an e-mail to the Post. ”We knew that Ryan was in town, and he’s been on streets around campus often so we were just pipe dreaming (and look what happened!)”
Indeed, fans at the fundraiser couldn’t hold back their excitement over seeing the stars, especially Gosling.
“I AM FIFTEEN FEET FROM RYAN GOSLING. HE IS AT THE #SPOOKY5K,” one fan tweeted.
“Omg omg omg @RyanGosling just walked right in front of me!!!! #dying #prayersanswered #spooky5k,” another wrote.
In addition to boosting spirits, Gosling and co. helped the foundation raise around $20,000.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people