Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Sign language recognised in Russia
Deaf people in Russia received a late, but very precious Christmas present when Russian Sign Language was formally recognised by the Russian government on the 30th December.
MBE for Deaf actress
The Deaf actress Caroline Parker, who performed at the Paralympics opening ceremony last summer, has been awarded an MBE in the New Year’s honours list.
Obituary: Deaf actor and comedian Hal Draper
The Deaf community is in mourning following the sad news of the death of Deaf actor and comedian Hal Draper, who died on 27th December.
1 in 10 families of deaf children forced to move house to get support they need
The National Deaf Children’s Society has said that one in ten families with a Deaf child have been forced to move in order to get the support their child needs.
Deaf teenagers rescue friend from swimming pool
Two Deaf boys have received an award after saving their friend’s life at their local swimming pool.
Deaf internet user loses discrimination case against eBay
A Deaf American who found she couldn’t become a registered seller on the internet auction site eBay has lost a discrimination case against the company
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children