Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Deaf students’ GCSE results are falling
GCSE results for Deaf children fell by 2.4% in one year.
Father of Deaf schoolgirl threatens to sue school due to lack of interpreter
parents of a Welsh profoundly deaf girl may take legal action against their council because they have not given their daughter a sign language teacher who also knows Welsh.
Census reveals only 22,000 sign language users
The number of people who declared themselves BSL users in the 2011 census was revealed to be just 22,000.
Newborn hearing screening misses some deaf children
Some children could develop hearing loss as babies and toddlers shortly after they have taken the test.
Welsh NHS failing Deaf people
A report by the BBC has revealed that Welsh health boards are breaching the Equality Act by not giving Deaf people equal access to healthcare.
Deaf councillor could be disqualified after asking for loop system
a deaf council official who has said he won’t attend council meetings until they fit a loop system, has been told that he could be disqualified from the council as a result.
Deaf man stabbed three times tells his story
Deaf American man, had been stabbed after his signs were mistaken for ‘gang signs.’ Now, he has told an American news programme his story.
Driving instructor learns BSL to teach Deaf students
A driving instructor from Manchester has explained how she has learned BSL in order to teach Deaf students how to drive.
Scottish Deaf postman attacked by dog he couldn’t hear barking
Deaf postman who has had to take time off work after being attacked by a dog.
New home for deaf gorilla
A deaf gorilla who has moved around numerous times since he was born has finally found a new home
Deaf woman attacked in Preston
Deaf woman was punched in the face when she tried to stop a robber from stealing her purse.
Champion for the Deaf appointed on Isle of Man
A Deaf man has moved to the Isle of Man to become a ‘Champion of the Deaf’
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children