Where did the last year go? It seems like it was only yesterday I clicked ‘publish’ on this website’s first article, and kicked off The Limping Chicken!
Now here we are, celebrating our first birthday, having escaped being cooped up for a free range existence!
In the last year, the site’s published over 500 posts, gaining over 400,000 views. From having one supporter, Deafworks, who we owe our very existence to, we now have six fantastic companies and charities backing us up (do check them out, below – they’re all exceptionally good eggs) with several more to come.
Because the site’s one, I thought we’d celebrate by bringing in some contributing editors for the site – regular writers who will continue to share their thoughts, opinions and humour with you, just in a slightly more formal way, with a better job title. After their contributions in the last year, they deserve it. Watch this space to find out who they are!
And they’re not alone. We’ve published over 80 Deaf writers, all of whom you can find at this page: http://limpingchicken.com/writers/ They’re all fantastic. If you want to join them, click here to find out how to contribute!
Thank you to all of you who read this site every day, and do look out later on for my round up of some of my favourite ‘rare’ Limping Chicken articles, golden gems that you may not have already seen!
This chicken is off to celebrate a birthday in the only way it knows how. By sinking one too many drinks before nestling down in a bed of straw incredibly early. Rock and roll!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and deaf blogs website! Check out our supporters:
- Remark! – Deaf media company producing television programmes, video BSL translation, multimedia solutions, plus providing training and interpreters!
- Deaf Umbrella – Sign language communications provider, including BSL interpreters!
- SignVideo – Provider of online BSL video interpreting services!
- STAGETEXT – Charity providing theatre captioning – giving you every word of a play!
- RAD Deaf Law Centre – Providing legal advice for Deaf people – in BSL!
- Bee Communications – Remote Captioning – providing text-based access wherever you are!
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children