Where did the last year go? It seems like it was only yesterday I clicked ‘publish’ on this website’s first article, and kicked off The Limping Chicken!
Now here we are, celebrating our first birthday, having escaped being cooped up for a free range existence!
In the last year, the site’s published over 500 posts, gaining over 400,000 views. From having one supporter, Deafworks, who we owe our very existence to, we now have six fantastic companies and charities backing us up (do check them out, below – they’re all exceptionally good eggs) with several more to come.
Because the site’s one, I thought we’d celebrate by bringing in some contributing editors for the site – regular writers who will continue to share their thoughts, opinions and humour with you, just in a slightly more formal way, with a better job title. After their contributions in the last year, they deserve it. Watch this space to find out who they are!
And they’re not alone. We’ve published over 80 Deaf writers, all of whom you can find at this page: http://limpingchicken.com/writers/ They’re all fantastic. If you want to join them, click here to find out how to contribute!
Thank you to all of you who read this site every day, and do look out later on for my round up of some of my favourite ‘rare’ Limping Chicken articles, golden gems that you may not have already seen!
This chicken is off to celebrate a birthday in the only way it knows how. By sinking one too many drinks before nestling down in a bed of straw incredibly early. Rock and roll!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and deaf blogs website! Check out our supporters:
- Remark! – Deaf media company producing television programmes, video BSL translation, multimedia solutions, plus providing training and interpreters!
- Deaf Umbrella – Sign language communications provider, including BSL interpreters!
- SignVideo – Provider of online BSL video interpreting services!
- STAGETEXT – Charity providing theatre captioning – giving you every word of a play!
- RAD Deaf Law Centre – Providing legal advice for Deaf people – in BSL!
- Bee Communications – Remote Captioning – providing text-based access wherever you are!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to turn on captions on your smartphone
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children