The Daily Mail has reported on an incredible, heart-warming story about a Deaf woman who boarded the wrong bus twelve years ago, and as a result, lost her family until a police officer reunited them.
Surely someone from Bollywood is snapping up the film rights? If not, they should be. Read on…
The saga began after the death of Galiman’s father, when her mother and brother decided to move to Delhi. Initially, they stayed near Nizamuddin in the south of the city.
Jalil found work in a plastic factory in Khanpur, and rented a place nearby with the intention of moving his family there.
Hoping they would join him quickly, the young man asked his mother and sister to board the number 419 or 423 bus to Khanpur.
But somehow, instead of boarding a bus to Khanpur, Galiman got on a coach going to Daryaganj, in north Delhi.
That was on November 16, 2000. Galiman was unable to communicate where she wanted to go, and her frantic family were unable to locate her.
Though her mother tragically died without seeing her daughter again, Jalil kept faith that one day he would track her down.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2289238/They-gave-hope-Deaf-speech-impaired-girl-missing-12-YEARS-caught-wrong-bus-reunited-family-thanks-Delhi-policeman.html#ixzz2MqX8m6Yx
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and deaf blogs website! Check out our supporters:
- Remark! – Deaf media company producing television programmes, video BSL translation, multimedia solutions, plus providing training and interpreters
- Deaf Umbrella – Sign language communications provider, including BSL interpreters
- SignVideo – Provider of online BSL video interpreting services
- STAGETEXT – Charity providing theatre captioning – giving you every word of a play
- RAD Deaf Law Centre – Providing legal advice for Deaf people – in BSL
- Bee Communications – Remote Captioning – providing text-based access wherever you are
- Krazy Kat – live visual theatre combining mime, dance, song, puppets and sign language
- The University of Wolverhampton’s Deaf Learner Open Day – on Wednesday 27th March!
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people