Click on the titles to go to Remark’s website, then click ‘BSL’ to watch the news in beautiful sign language!
Deaf filmmaker shows hotly anticipated new film at Deaffest!
Among the films being shown is the premiere of Deaf filmmaker Ted Evans’ new film, Retreat. Evans made the film after winning the £5000 Ben Steiner Bursary last year.
Fulham Deaf FC win Deaf Cup Final!
By full time, they had completed a formidable victory that means they qualify for Europe next year. The side’s victory came as a result of two goals from Jacob Willis, and a goal each from Alex Bovino, Jonathan Evans and Daniel Waller.
Article argues that Deaf linguistic culture is being allowed to disintegrate
The article argues that with BSL being a language in its own right, with its own “history and subtleties,” everyone should receive treatment in their own language.
Deaf ambulance medic makes headlines
In just two months, Chad Grabousky has become popular with his colleagues and patients, with his boss saying he does a better job than many hearing people, and is able to ‘read’ their behaviour better, as a result of his deafness.
Closed-caption glasses offer American Deaf people cinema access
The glasses are designed by Sony and they make subtitles appear to float around 10 feet ahead of the deaf person, on the cinema screen. They can also increase the volume of the film.
Every week we feature Deaf news in British Sign Language (BSL) courtesy of our sponsor, Remark! To find out more about the company and the services they provide, just visit their website, http://remark.uk.com.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out how audism affects Deaf people
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Krazy Kat: visual theatre with BSL
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists