The flame relay will start at the venue of the first international deaf sports competition in 1924, one month ahead of the start of the Deaflympic Games in Bulgaria.
Cyclists will carry the flame in miner’s lamps to Sofia, Bulgaria’s capital city, in time for the opening ceremony on Friday 26 July.
According to the organisers, the flame relay will celebrate the ‘proud traditions of strength and self-sufficiency that deaf competitions have provided the deaf community.’
The Sofia 2013 organising committee hope the arrival of the Deaflympic flame at the opening ceremony will inspire deaf athletes on the eve of their biggest competitions.
International Committee of Sports for the Deaf president Craig Crowley said: “For the first time ever, a flame relay will link the home of the first Deaflympics in Paris to the host city. On the sports field as on the roads, deafness has all too often been overlooked.
“This flame relay allows us to celebrate our 89 years of presence as an international sports movement, while also raising awareness of deaf cyclists as road users. I very much look forward to seeing the flame along the way and to greeting it in Sofia.”
By Paul Harrison. Paul is a freelance journalist, currently living and working in London. When not at his desk writing or tweeting, he can be found at a coffee shop or Loftus Road/The Stoop/Celtic Park (delete as applicable) mumbling insults at the referee or sloppy passing. Follow him on Twitter as @paulbharrison
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Check out 15 Heartwarming Whispers about Deafness
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Sign Lingual: BSL interpreting and communication services
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- Mykasoft: Deaf-run Web Design Studio
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Krazy Kat: visual theatre with BSL
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children