Deaf sailor Gerry Hughes will feature in a new prime-time STV documentary following all the ups and downs of his epic circumnavigation of the world.
Silent Odyssey: Incredible Stories, which is produced by 5 Minute Network and Deaf production company AC2.com, will be shown at 9pm on Tuesday 10th September on STV.
The married father of two set off on his trip on 1st September 2012. He overcame rough seas and faulty equipment to return home to a hero’s welcome after an epic 210 day journey.
You can read our exclusive interview with Gerry Hughes here.
“Silent Odyssey: Incredible Stories captures all the ups and downs of Gerry’s voyage, from the final days before his departure and the emotional last moments with family and friends, to all the drama at sea including critical technical failures and a life threatening capsize south of the Cape of Good Hope, as well as interviews with the loved ones who supported his solo challenge.
Gerry is totally in his element with the sea and the open sky above him and with two miniature HD cameras on board, he relays his thoughts and feelings about an exposed life at sea, relying on emails from his family as his only company and weather reports compiled by a group of friends in Castlemilk in Glasgow.
Elizabeth Partyka, deputy director of channels at STV, said: “This is a captivating and inspirational story which really captures the imagination, and I’m thrilled that we can share Gerry’s incredible adventure with STV viewers.”
By Paul Harrison, the Limping Chicken’s News Reporter. Paul is a freelance journalist, currently living and working in London. When not at his desk writing or tweeting, he can be found at a coffee shop or Loftus Road/The Stoop/Celtic Park (delete as applicable) mumbling insults at the referee or sloppy passing. Follow him on Twitter as @paulbharrison
The Limping Chicken is supported by a range of charities and organisations linked to deafness, all of whom offer services that enhance deaf lives. Click on the images on the right-hand side of this site or go to our Supporters page to find out all about them!
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people