A who’s who of representatives of the UK’s deaf world will be meeting today at Portcullis House, Westminster, to try and find agreement on what should be in Sir Malcolm Bruce’s PMB (Private Members Bill).
Bruce’s name was drawn in a ballot of MPs to get the chance to put Bill before the House and he’s seeking agreement from leading deaf organisations or groups in the UK deaf community today about the content of the proposed Bill. The Bill needs to be drawn up before its due for its second reading in October.
Sir Malcolm’s good luck in the ballot followed his successful EDM (Early day motion) in February that got over 200 signatures from supportive MPs and triggered the biggest UK Deaf campaign since BSL was recognised a decade ago.
That EDM called for improved rights for BSL users but this Bill is aiming to be broader in scope and is aimed at improving communication rights for all deaf people, not just signers, through setting up an official body to look into the issue.
If successful, (although that seems unlikely) the Bill would be Sir Malcolm’s parting gift to the UK deaf community that he has often campaigned for since he was elected to Parliament 30 years ago.
It was announced yesterday that Sir Malcolm is standing down at the next election, leaving the Chairmanship of the All Party Committee on Deafness vacant.
At the meeting today:
Action on Hearing Loss – UK’s largest Charity representing deaf and hard of hearing people
British Deaf Association – Largest organisation in the UK run by Deaf people for Deaf people
Signature – Leading awarding body for BSL
Spit the Dummy and campaign for BSL Act – Facebook based group with over 10,000 members
Pardon? Group – Facebook based group with 1,200 members
Deaf Ex-Mainstreamers – Campaign group aimed at welfare of mainstream educated deaf children
Sense – National deaf-blind charity
NDCS – National Deaf Children’s Society
NADP – National Association of Deafened People
The Limping Chicken is supported by a range of charities and organisations linked to deafness, all of whom offer services that enhance deaf lives. Click on the images on the right-hand side of this site or go to our Supporters page to find out all about them!
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people