Seven deaf organisations and groups representing the deaf community (the D7) are meeting in London today to plot the next steps for Sir Malcolm Bruce MP’s Communication Support Bill.
The Bill didn’t progress beyond its second reading last month because it ran out of time for debate.
Today, the leading groups from the deaf world involved in drafting the Bill will be discussing how to maintain the levels of momentum and co-operation that have been achieved in recent months and how to convince the government that action is needed to support the communication rights of deaf people.
Some success has been achieved in this aim recently with the Minister for Disabled People, Mike Penning, revealing in a written answer to a question from an MP that he will be reviewing support for deaf people across government services – although nothing has been formally announced.
Those attending the meeting today at Portcullis House in Westminster include the charities Action on Hearing Loss and the BDA, education group DEXperience and Facebook-based campaign groups including ‘Spit the Dummy’. Sense are also there representing deaf-blind people.
Sir Malcolm Bruce will not be in attendance because he is in Burma as part of his role as the Chairman of the International Development Committee.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people