Here in Uganda, we have come a long way since our work began in 2009. Many lives are changed.
The Deaf kids we are working with no longer sulk without communication; they now smile and communicate effectively.
Some that had leg deformities and other health problems are now set free thanks to encouragements, surgeries and medical assistance.
The communities no longer throw bricks or rubbish on our School wall because we are a ‘Deaf’ School, they come and knock on the door to learn sign language, to be involved and assist us.
Where does all this happen?
We are a little Deaf School based just out of the busy city of Kampala, in Uganda East Africa. We named ourselves Deaf Elite Education Centre operated by Boanerges Deaf Initiative a small registered charity based in Uganda. Starting with about 10 Deaf children in our small space, we jumped to over 50 Deaf kids in 2 years!
We built this small School and during the time we were able to buy land outside of town. On this land we dream to start building another place like we have, but bigger in size as we have 300 Deaf children around the corner who want to come to School.
We cannot take in any more children where we are based in the crammed small space in town. On this land we can build a replica of what we have but willing to expand and grow! Trees can be used as shelter for extra classrooms; we are able to walk around freely without risking being hit by motorbikes. We can have more freedom to learning.
From a small group of 10 students, we have now come to a large group, a new generation of Deaf children with a brighter future. If we stay the way we are, we are changing lives, but what about the other 300 Deaf kids we know that are out there?
It breaks our heart to know they are there but we have no space or support to look after them. Which is why we decided to try and fundraise for the first time, to start laying foundations so we can have a hope, we can go one brick at a time, building our way to the top, to provide a home for Deaf kids!
Volunteers from parts of the world, Deaf and hearing, have visited us and have made life changing impact on our Children, staff and also on themselves. Our most heard comments from volunteers would be ‘It’s all about the love’. ‘They are just so happy yet they have nothing that we have.’
It is true, it’s all about the love, and we are a free of charge School because we love Deaf kids and people. They need an education chance, a chance to be loved and accepted. It’s not just a School; it is an Education Center for everyone involved parents, families, communities, Deaf and hearing adults and volunteers from parts of the world.
We are happy even though we have little, but at least we have the love to go around keeping us going each day!
Read Ceilidh’s previous article about her work here: http://limpingchicken.com/2012/05/17/ceilidh-osullivan-setting-up-a-deaf-school-in-uganda/
If you wish to make a difference in the lives of Deaf children, please see the latest fundraiser http://www.gofundme.com/6wcj98 or contact Ceilidh at email@example.com. You can also check out www.boanergesdeafinitiative.org
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people