800 Deaf campers are today making their way home after enjoying this year’s Sign Circle camping festival, which was held in Longridge, Lancashire.
Among this year’s attractions were a new ‘pub bus’ (above) improvised comedy (below), signed poetry, drama and media workshops, an outdoor cinema from the BSL Zone, dog show, mud wrestling, zorbing, and much, much more.
Many high-profile stars of the Deaf performing arts world were in attendance, including comedian John Smith (who was MC for the improvised comedy), actress Rebecca Withey, and actors Adam Bassett, Nadia Nadarajah, Brian Duffy and David Sands.
Some evidence of Deaf humour (or hearing people’s desire for a quiet night’s sleep) could be seen on the toilets to the portaloos…
After two scorching hot days at the festival, rain on Saturday night (as in 2013) led to a few soaked tents on Sunday morning. On Sunday it was sunny but cloudly, though the occasional light showers didn’t dampen anyone’s mood.
Well done once again to the organisers and volunteers – and to everyone travelling today – have a safe journey home!
With thanks for photos to Jen Dodds
By Charlie Swinbourne, Editor
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people