A deaf woman who feared she might never achieve her dream of working in an office has proved doubters wrong.
Katie Guy, of Salford, has been awarded Apprentice of the Year at the Greater Manchester Skills for Business awards. She won the accolade for commitment to her job as a data entry clerk at Trafford Council. She has also delivered workshops on deaf awareness to her colleagues.
The 21-year-old became profoundly deaf in childhood due to contracting meningitis, but dreamt of working in administration.
Collecting her award, Ms. Guy said; ““I always wanted to work in an office but people told me I couldn’t as I wasn’t able to use the phone due to my deafness.
“However, I was determined not let my disability affect my career choice.”
Adrian Bates, partnership manager at Trafford council, said: “Katie is an inspiration to us all as she constantly opens herself up to new experiences and pushes herself beyond her comfort zone.
“She amazes us with her confidence and maturity and we’re proud of the progress she’s made. I’m convinced she will be a great success in her career.”
Comedian and television presenter Dara O’Briain hosted the ceremony and presented Ms. Guy with her award.
See the original article here – http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/deaf-woman-warned-could-never-7709253
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people