Last Thursday, I had the privilege of spending several hours in a Church in central Leeds watching the BDA’s archive films of the Deaf community through the years.
Many of the films showed Deaf people looking posh and dressed up (far smarter than I’ve ever looked!) at official functions. There was also footage from days out and conferences.
The earliest footage dated back to the 1930s, with more recent footage from around 20 years ago showing a visit to the BDA conference from Princess Diana.
The beauty of a lot of this footage is that even in the earliest clips, you can see what people are signing to one another and can even sometimes follow conversations in the background!
In clips of hearing people, the fact there’s no sound means this wouldn’t be possible – and it makes this collection of films even more valuable.
The BDA is organising screenings around the country and is hoping that people will help spot and point out who is in the clips. At the Leeds screening, one woman spotted her grandfather, another spotted her father, while some of the older members of the audience pointed out their friends.
In one clip, four Deaf men teased each other in front of the cameras, and managed to make us all laugh. There are a host of other screenings in Yorkshire alone, organised by Samantha Allen.
If you’re in or near Yorkshire, make sure you go along, or go to http://www.bda.org.uk/Events to find out about other screenings elsewhere.
Here’s a list of the Yorkshire screenings below:
Venue: Calderdale Deaf Association, 4 St James Road, Halifax
Date: Thursday 2nd October 2014
Time: 1.00pm – 3.00 pm
Venue: Bradford Deaf Club, 25 Hallfield Road, Bradford, BD1 3RP
Date: Friday 3rd October 2014
Time: 7.30pm – 10.00 pm
Venue: Richmond Hill Social Club, Railway Street, Saxton Gardens, LS9.
Date: Tuesday 7th October 2014
Time: 11.30pm – 1.00 pm
Venue: Leeds Involving People, Ground Floor Unit 8, Gemini Park, Sheepscar Way, Leeds, LS7 3JB
Date: Wednesday 8th October 2014
Venue: Hull Deaf Centre, 63 Spring Bank, Kingston-upon-Hull, HU3 1AG
Date: Tuesday 14th October 2014
Time: 3.30 – 8.00 pm
Venue: Over 55 Club at Bradford Deaf Club, 25 Hallfield Road, Bradford, BD1 3RP
Date: Wednesday 22nd October 2014
Time: 11.00am – 12.00 pm
Date: Tuesday 28th October 2014
Time: 6 – 8pm.
For further information or want to be kept up to date check the BDA website on:
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people