Just in case you missed this Guardian article by Deaf journalist Rebecca Atkinson, which was published shortly before Christmas, we suggest you read it without delay.
The article is about the reaction to the French film La Famille Belier, the story of a deaf family with a hearing daughter with a talent for singing.
The article labels the film a ‘cinematic insult’ to the Deaf community, because of how deafness is used as a plot device, and also because of how the deaf characters are played by hearing actors.
Here’s an extract below. Read the full article here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/19/la-familie-belier-insult-deaf-community
Hearing people’s fascination with the relationship between music and deafness just does not resonate with most deaf people. Perhaps if you’ve lost your hearing, yes, but if you were born deaf like me, it’s not something that you lose sleep over.
It’s just an overplayed stereotype that deaf people have to tolerate their whole lives. Show me a deaf person who hasn’t been asked if they are bothered that they can’t hear birdsong and I’ll show you a pig with wings. Birdsong or music might be paramount to the lives of some, but it’s myopic to think that the whole world holds the same cares as you.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out the benefits of live captioning at university!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Stellar Communications: Speech-to-Text services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Helen Foulkes Translations: BSL translations
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children