A video clip on the BSL Zone site shows gangs in Paris who act Deaf to con money from tourists.
Now it seems the trend of acting deaf in order to commit a crime has spread to the UK too.
The Braintree and Witham times (who’ve unfortunately used the term ‘deaf and mute’ in their article) have reported on an incident in a local estate agency.
Brazen distraction thieves walked into an estate agents and stole an employee’s brand new iPhone 6.
Stuart Bonnett, 26, had only been working for CM Rent in Newland Street, Witham, for a month when two men posing as deaf and mute took the phone from his desk on February 19.
He and his colleague were both busy on their landlines when the men walked in.
The property consultant, from Chelmsford, said: “There were two of them who came in with clipboards to say they were from a deaf and mute charity.
“One kept trying to point at his clipboard and as soon as I looked right, the other guy must have snatched it.
“I am pretty annoyed and shocked because it takes a lot of guts to walk into someone’s work and steal from them.”
Essex Police are appealing for more information.
Call Braintree Police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Check out these captioning fails!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children