Cookery demonstrations with BSL interpretation services take place at London’s Borough Market on the second Friday of every month.
A brigade of professional chefs and food writers, accomplished in a wide range of culinary disciplines, provide free demonstrations in the Market Hall, between 12.30-2pm.
They offer a snapshot of the best seasonal produce available from the Market and impart their expert knowledge for home cooks.
Here’s a list of upcoming events with BSL interpretation:
Friday 10th April – Theo Tsavalos
Greek chef Theo launched his own business VegMe specialising in restaurant quality vegetarian pies using a closely guarded family recipe.
During Greek Easter week, whilst the wild greens are fresh and tender, Theo is demonstrating a classic spring Greek dish ‘hortopita’ or wild greens pie.
Thursday 14th May – Alix Caiger
Alix Caiger knows the intricacies of Borough Market very well since running a successful Christmas pop-up here using top quality produce from traders. Alix joins us again in the demonstration kitchen during Love your local Market fortnight which highlights why shopping at Markets is so important. She will explore what makes Borough so important, and will be using lovely, seasonal ingredients from around the market.
Friday 12th June – Sri Lankan chef
Borough Market tea trader Anneli Novak of Organic Life Teas will be joining forces with an expert in Sri Lankan cuisine, to prepare traditional vibrant Sri Lankan dishes which match perfectly with her exotic teas.
These are all grown on a single estate set 5,000 feet above sea level, which produces some of the finest teas in Sri Lanka.
Friday 10th July – Juliet Sear
Juliet owns Fancy Nancy, an established cake boutique in Essex. She loves to make exciting and innovative cake and cookie designs which taste as good as they look using natural decorations.
Nancy’s first ever demonstration at Borough Market is set to be interactive and hands-on.
For further information and details of the full demonstration schedule visit www.boroughmarket.org.uk/events
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children