Below is a post from our newest supporter, Clarion. Find out all about them by clicking here.
Free Communication Support when it’s needed, in the right place at the right time, throughout life.
Our vision is to provide a voice for deaf and hard of hearing people and our values are that “there is no such thing as ‘hard to reach’ groups; in reality they are simply ‘out of reach’ to mainstream institutions”.
We have set up the Clarion Community Trust in response to repeated requests from the Deaf Community to improve services and access.
We are incredibly pleased and proud to announce that, in partnership with Awards for All, we are able to open the Community Chest. This gives deaf and hard of hearing people free access to events through the provision of BSL/English Interpreters or communication support and ensures equality of access for everyone.
All statutory organisations have a legal duty to provide equal access to their services by providing BSL/English Interpreters or deafblind Interpreters for their deaf and deafblind clients.
Some institutions do not provide access as they are not legally mandated as they are too small or the deaf person is expected to pay. The “reasonable adjustment” does not apply and in these cases the organisation usually doesn’t provide an interpreter, meaning that the deaf or deafblind person is unable to attend and access the information, sometimes critical or very sensitive.
Situations like this include weddings, funerals, christenings, play schemes for deaf children, bereavement counselling or hairdressing appointments. It may be a community event such as a protest march, arts festival or sport including football matches or karate classes.
The sessions can be used during the week or at weekends for all types of events and at whatever time suits the deaf person. Our goal is to provide over the year, 100 free sessions. This means we can start to level the playing field for deaf people, make a real difference quickly and easily and continue to achieve our vision.
For more information and an application form, please go the Trust website on www.clariontrust.co.uk.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people