Stories of how Access to Work cuts are affecting Deaf people’s jobs continue to appear regularly in the press.
The latest is the story of Drew Budai, a support worker based at Merseyside Society for Deaf People.
He’s just had his Access to Work funding cut and now the charity is concerned for the future of the services they provide if other support workers also lose their funding.
A Merseyside deaf charity is worried about its future after funding was cut for one of its most experienced deaf interpreters.
Drew Budai, 50, has been a support worker for Waterloo-based Merseyside Society for Deaf People for seven years, and is profoundly deaf.
He had his Access to Work funding cut last month after asking the Department for Work and Pensions for an extra two hours of funding a week.
Not only did the government turn down his request, they also informed him that his funding would be cut entirely – with less than a month’s notice.
Read the full story here: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyside-deaf-charity-worried-future-9068816
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people