A new sign language interpretation service which uses an online video link has been officially launched at Noble’s Hospital, on the Isle of Man.
The initiative will provide an improved service for patients who are Deaf as well as offering better value for money.
The service is a result of a collaboration between Noble’s Hospital, the Manx Deaf Society, the Isle of Man Government IT Department and one of this site’s supporters, Sign Solutions.
The Isle of Man has no qualified British Sign Language interpreters. When members of the Deaf community have medical appointments and require an interpreter, the Department often hires someone to come over from UK, which in the past has cost as much as £1,000.
In emergency situations, where there is no time to bring an interpreter to the Island, Deaf patients and staff providing care often find it extremely difficult to communicate effectively.
The new service from Sign Solutions connects to a live sign language interpreter via secure video link over the internet on a PC with a webcam or a tablet computer.
Noble’s Hospital is the first area of Government to use the video interpretation service, but it is hoped that the scheme could be expanded to cover other departments.
The formal launch event consisted of a number of presentations on topics such as Deaf culture, the challenges of being Deaf and real life experiences that members of the Deaf community on the Island have experienced when receiving medical care.
Lucy Buxton, of the Manx Deaf Society, said: “Receiving care without the ability to communicate or understand what is happening to you can be a very daunting and frightening experience, especially in an emergency situation. I am pleased that we are now able to ensure proper communication between medical staff and Deaf patients by making use of this innovative and flexible service.”
Sean Nicholson, CEO at Sign Solutions comments: “We’re seeing more and more sectors enquire about our service, which represents a step towards a more positive future for Deaf people. We hope that other governmental departments across the UK will follow suit.”
All interpreters through this service are fully qualified and have been vetted by the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly the Criminal Records Bureau or CRB) and are bound by the UK Data Protection Act 1998.
Find out more about Interpreters Live here: http://www.interpreterslive.co.uk/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people