The campaign to increase the amount of sign language access on TV in Scotland has gained more publicity with a story in Scotland’s The National about the lack of BSL access on the Holyrood leaders’ debates.
DISABILITY rights campaigners have accused the BBC and STV of “failing” deaf people by not providing British Sign Language interpreters on the Holyrood leaders’ debates.
They said the decision was especially disappointing following the passing of legislation last year placing obligations on public organisations to promote BSL.
Activists also claimed it was also an editorial shortcoming given the prominence of disability issues following the resignation this month of Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith over disability benefits cuts.
Deaf people said they felt excluded from the two televised events, which were broadcast on STV on Tuesday night and on the BBC last Thursday, as the subtitles provided were not as good as having a BSL practitioner.
“The British Sign Language Bill became an Act last year, yet interpreters are still not being provided on important programmes such as the BBC and STV leaders’ debates,” said campaigner Toby Dawson.
Read the full story here: http://www.thenational.scot/news/campaigners-hit-out-over-lack-of-sign-language-on-leaders-debates.15766
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people