The campaign to increase the amount of sign language access on TV in Scotland has gained more publicity with a story in Scotland’s The National about the lack of BSL access on the Holyrood leaders’ debates.
DISABILITY rights campaigners have accused the BBC and STV of “failing” deaf people by not providing British Sign Language interpreters on the Holyrood leaders’ debates.
They said the decision was especially disappointing following the passing of legislation last year placing obligations on public organisations to promote BSL.
Activists also claimed it was also an editorial shortcoming given the prominence of disability issues following the resignation this month of Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith over disability benefits cuts.
Deaf people said they felt excluded from the two televised events, which were broadcast on STV on Tuesday night and on the BBC last Thursday, as the subtitles provided were not as good as having a BSL practitioner.
“The British Sign Language Bill became an Act last year, yet interpreters are still not being provided on important programmes such as the BBC and STV leaders’ debates,” said campaigner Toby Dawson.
Read the full story here: http://www.thenational.scot/news/campaigners-hit-out-over-lack-of-sign-language-on-leaders-debates.15766
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people