This summer East Lancashire Deaf Society will be hosting Sign Circle: Britain’s largest Deaf camping event for British Sign Language (BSL) users.
The deaf festival, held at Longridge Showground, Preston has always been a success and is becoming increasingly popular within the deaf community due to its specific deaf friendly shows, games and competitions.
Sign Circle, which is held every two years, has been successfully running since 2007. This festival has provided entertainment for thousands of campers and volunteers who gather from all over the United Kindgom and some who even fly over from abroad.
Approximately 50,000 deaf people in the UK use British Sign Language (BSL) as their first or preferred language. There are many others who know and use sign language but not as their first language.
Since it began, the festival has grown in size and has attracted a much wider audience.
Sandra Williams, Volunteer Coordinator for the festival and BSL user says “Sign Circle has always been a massive success and this year will be even bigger. It’s an important social event for the deaf and hard of hearing community, and it’s important for the hearing community to join us too to break down any social barrier there may be. This is now a tradition and is a great way for the deaf and hearing communities to join together and have fun.”
ELDS staff, trustees and volunteers work tirelessly to ensure the smooth running of the festival. In 2014 Sign Circle attracted over 900 attendees and had over 28 different activities over the course of the weekend to entertain every age group. Ticket sales are expected to rise this year after having a great response to teaser videos on social media.
International performers from all over the globe have been booked to join the Saturday Gala Show at the festival. The action packed weekend will also involve activities such as an assault course, zorb football, trampolines and mud wrestling, along with arts and craft classes and a performance workshop with competitions including, dance, comedy, sign song and yoga.
For festival details please visit www.signcircle.org.uk.
Sign Circle Festival address:
Sign Circle dates: Friday 29th July – Monday 1st August 2016.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people