This summer East Lancashire Deaf Society will be hosting Sign Circle: Britain’s largest Deaf camping event for British Sign Language (BSL) users.
The deaf festival, held at Longridge Showground, Preston has always been a success and is becoming increasingly popular within the deaf community due to its specific deaf friendly shows, games and competitions.
Sign Circle, which is held every two years, has been successfully running since 2007. This festival has provided entertainment for thousands of campers and volunteers who gather from all over the United Kindgom and some who even fly over from abroad.
Approximately 50,000 deaf people in the UK use British Sign Language (BSL) as their first or preferred language. There are many others who know and use sign language but not as their first language.
Since it began, the festival has grown in size and has attracted a much wider audience.
Sandra Williams, Volunteer Coordinator for the festival and BSL user says “Sign Circle has always been a massive success and this year will be even bigger. It’s an important social event for the deaf and hard of hearing community, and it’s important for the hearing community to join us too to break down any social barrier there may be. This is now a tradition and is a great way for the deaf and hearing communities to join together and have fun.”
ELDS staff, trustees and volunteers work tirelessly to ensure the smooth running of the festival. In 2014 Sign Circle attracted over 900 attendees and had over 28 different activities over the course of the weekend to entertain every age group. Ticket sales are expected to rise this year after having a great response to teaser videos on social media.
International performers from all over the globe have been booked to join the Saturday Gala Show at the festival. The action packed weekend will also involve activities such as an assault course, zorb football, trampolines and mud wrestling, along with arts and craft classes and a performance workshop with competitions including, dance, comedy, sign song and yoga.
For festival details please visit www.signcircle.org.uk.
Sign Circle Festival address:
Sign Circle dates: Friday 29th July – Monday 1st August 2016.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children