For the first time, teachers, clinicians and researchers will soon have access to a range of online tests that can be used to assess abilities in deaf children and adults, such as speech reading, sign language vocabulary and understanding.
The Portal Project has been developed in partnership between the Deafness, Cognition and Language Research Centre (DCAL) at University College London, City University London and online resource developers, Cauldron.
This new and innovative resource, will provide practitioners – for example teachers, clinical and educational psychologists and speech and language therapists – with on-line access to assessments of deafness, cognition and language developed through research carried out at DCAL over the last decade.
DCAL is the largest centre in Europe researching in the fields of sign linguistics, psychology and neuroscience and has brought together leading Deaf and hearing researchers, to provide unique insights into language and thought based on deaf people’s communication.
Deafness is an important model to answer questions in linguistics, cognitive sciences and neuroscience and the work of DCAL has been of vital significance in advancing our knowledge and understanding in these areas.
The Portal site, officially launched today (7th June), will host a range of assessment tools which include:
- Sign language receptive skills (BSL RST)
- Tests of Child and Adult Speechreading (TOCS and TAS)
- A BSL vocabulary test and communicative development inventory (BSL VT and BSL CDI)
- A cognitive screening test designed to detect dementia and acquired cognitive impairment in older deaf adults who use British sign language (BSL CST)
- A BSL Aphasia Assessment Battery of British sign language and gesture ability in adults (BSL AAB)
Leading the project is Gary Morgan, Professor of Psychology in the School of Health Sciences at City University London and Deputy Director of DCAL. He has been conducting research at the research centre since 2006.
Commenting on the launch, Prof Morgan said:
“Working alongside City University London researcher, Abi Roper, we have taken some of the results of DCAL’s ground-breaking research work forward in this exciting project with Cauldron.
“The DCAL Assessment Portal is a huge leap forward in allowing approved health and educational professionals to properly assess the cognitive and linguistic skills of both deaf children and adults.
“This new online resource will include tests of child and adult speechreading, assessments of sign language vocabulary and grammar, and the only language and cognitive assessments in the world designed for deaf people with acquired neurological impairments such as stroke or dementia.
“The Portal will have a significant impact on the lives of deaf people if it is used by both specialist professionals and others who have a role in providing services for deaf children and adults.
“By giving professionals access to the assessment tools, NHS and educational services will be more effectively and efficiently targeted at individuals.”
The Portal can be accessed via the following address – https://dcalportal.org/.
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people