It has been reported that three Deaf people who were convicted of Access to Work fraud have been jailed for a combined total of more than 12 years.
Extract from The Sun:
THREE profoundly deaf fraudsters who fleeced taxpayers out of nearly £1million have been jailed for a total of more than 12 years.
Paul Neal, 38, Stephen Dering, 39, and Russell Parke, 53, used sham companies and a registered charity to rake in cash from the Department for Work and Pensions.
Prosecutor David Aaronberg told how the group used false invoices to claim for support which had not been given.
This saw them gain benefits from the Government’s Access to Work scheme — set up to support disabled people.
Neal and wife Ethel, 37, who is also deaf, bought a holiday home in Ireland with the profits.
Neal, of Croydon, South London, was jailed for six years for conspiracy to commit fraud, fraud and fraudulent trading.
Dering, also of Croydon, got three years and Parke, of Westerham, Kent, 40 months.
Neal’s wife was also found guilty of a role in the scam. She got two years — suspended for 24 months so she could care for their kids.
Read the full story here: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1315291/twelve-years-jail-for-deaf-trio-behind-1m-fraud/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people