It has been reported that three Deaf people who were convicted of Access to Work fraud have been jailed for a combined total of more than 12 years.
Extract from The Sun:
THREE profoundly deaf fraudsters who fleeced taxpayers out of nearly £1million have been jailed for a total of more than 12 years.
Paul Neal, 38, Stephen Dering, 39, and Russell Parke, 53, used sham companies and a registered charity to rake in cash from the Department for Work and Pensions.
Prosecutor David Aaronberg told how the group used false invoices to claim for support which had not been given.
This saw them gain benefits from the Government’s Access to Work scheme — set up to support disabled people.
Neal and wife Ethel, 37, who is also deaf, bought a holiday home in Ireland with the profits.
Neal, of Croydon, South London, was jailed for six years for conspiracy to commit fraud, fraud and fraudulent trading.
Dering, also of Croydon, got three years and Parke, of Westerham, Kent, 40 months.
Neal’s wife was also found guilty of a role in the scam. She got two years — suspended for 24 months so she could care for their kids.
Read the full story here: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1315291/twelve-years-jail-for-deaf-trio-behind-1m-fraud/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people