KHOU has reported on a branch of Starbucks in Houston which is staffed by three deaf people, communicating using notes, lipreading and gestures.
The video shows them in action and delayed (live) subtitles are available (click the CC button). Check out the story and video here.
HOUSTON – Faithful Starbucks customers know the coffee shop is often a crowded, bustling, noisy place; but at one location in the Heights, what you don’t hear is what’s interesting and inspiring.
At the I-10 and Yale Starbucks, the smells, sights and sounds are all familiar. What may not be? What you don’t hear.
Lindsey Smith, a shift supervisor, is deaf as are Lydia Tesfaye and Greg Oxley. All three baristas serve customers with all kinds of orders.
Of the three, Greg can speak a little, but usually to communicate, they use a writing tablet, a little lip reading, and some simple gestures. They also get help from a Bradley LeConey, a hearing supervisor who knows sign language.
Read the full story here: http://www.khou.com/features/deaf-baristas-thrive-at-local-starbucks-coffee-shop/266832736
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Live: Find out 5 ways to fund live captions at your event!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- SDHH: Project Development and Consultancy
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people