KHOU has reported on a branch of Starbucks in Houston which is staffed by three deaf people, communicating using notes, lipreading and gestures.
The video shows them in action and delayed (live) subtitles are available (click the CC button). Check out the story and video here.
HOUSTON – Faithful Starbucks customers know the coffee shop is often a crowded, bustling, noisy place; but at one location in the Heights, what you don’t hear is what’s interesting and inspiring.
At the I-10 and Yale Starbucks, the smells, sights and sounds are all familiar. What may not be? What you don’t hear.
Lindsey Smith, a shift supervisor, is deaf as are Lydia Tesfaye and Greg Oxley. All three baristas serve customers with all kinds of orders.
Of the three, Greg can speak a little, but usually to communicate, they use a writing tablet, a little lip reading, and some simple gestures. They also get help from a Bradley LeConey, a hearing supervisor who knows sign language.
Read the full story here: http://www.khou.com/features/deaf-baristas-thrive-at-local-starbucks-coffee-shop/266832736
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people