To support the cyclists, donate here: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/deaf-roots-and-pride
Bronwynne Buxton, Caroline Fearon, Wendy Scott and Abbie Willis have completed the British Deaf Association’s 125 Year Charity Bike ride, cycling 300 miles from London to Paris.
The team raised funds for the British Deaf Association’s Deaf Roots and Pride project, an initiative that helps improve the lives of Deaf children and young people by employing Deaf mentors work with them to boost their confidence, self-esteem and their communication skills.
The BDA has successfully piloted the Deaf Roots & Pride project in Northern Ireland and the Midlands, transforming the lives of over 550 Deaf Children so far and also 61 young Deaf people have received 922 mentoring sessions.
The cost of rolling out the project to other areas in England is £70,000 a year for the next two years, meaning that many more Deaf children will get the vital support they need to have a brighter and better future.
The riders said beforehand: “Something like Deaf Roots & Pride would have been really useful for me when I was young and that is why I am passionate about supporting it. The pain of riding 75 miles a day will be worth it knowing that so many deaf youngsters will benefit.”
Sue Barry, Project Manager for the BDA’s Deaf Roots & Pride project says: “There is a huge demand from families of Deaf children for our Deaf mentors. The project is clearly having a positive impact on deaf children’s self-esteem and it helps them develop skills which break down communication barriers.”
You can send a donation to: BDA, 356 Holloway Road, London N7 6PA or via the crowdfunding website: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children