A Facebook video which appears to show an alleged new ‘fake’ interpreter scandal on TV in Peru has attracted nearly 40,000 views.
The video shows a TV in-vision interpreter moving her arms around in what appears to be a random and repetitive manner while discussions take place in Peru’s Congress.
The user who uploaded the video, Vanessa Flores, said in her status: “Usually I do not watch the Congress channel but today I could not help it.”
Numerous commenters said they did not understand the interpreter, with one saying: “Who is this lady? What do you do? Is interpreter? Can someone explain to me!! Because I don’t understand anything!!!”
Another said: “I can’t believe it!!! As a mother of a son deaf I feel disgusted to see that our congress violates the rights of the deaf community to hire a lady who knows nothing of interpretation. This is a joke!!!!”
While sign languages differ around the world, to most Deaf people, no matter which form of sign language they are fluent in, the manner of signing looks highly unusual and incoherent.
In the last 24 hours, the footage has been widely shared in the UK Deaf community, bringing back memories of the ‘fake’ interpreter scandal at Nelson Mandela’s memorial service in 2013 (a story which was first broken on this site).
The video can be seen below (or click here to see it directly on Facebook).
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Happy: Microsoft Office courses taught in BSL and SSE by a Deaf trainer – all abilities catered for
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children