Actress Rachel Shenton, who had a Deaf father, has released a fundraising video and website for a film she has written and will also star in, about a Deaf girl’s challenges with communication.
£4,500 has already been raised of the £10,000 target.
Watch the video below (if subtitles don’t appear, click here to view it on the fundraising site, and check the subtitle option is selected)”
The film’s synopsis is:
Set in rural England, we follow the story of profoundly deaf child, Libby and her middle-class family; consisting of 2 elder siblings, both high achievers. A constantly overwhelmed mother and a workaholic husband. The family are uneducated about their daughters deafness and are in search of a way to ‘normalise’ her. It’s not until they employ the help of a deaf-specialised social worker that it becomes apparent that it’s not Libby’s disability that is limiting her.
Rachel told us: “It’s based on a true story and it’s a story that needs to be told. Communication is the beating heart of everything we do and no child should be denied that opportunity.”
Help support the film by clicking here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-silent-child-short-film#/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- BSL Zone: TV programmes in BSL for the Deaf community
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people