Actress Rachel Shenton, who had a Deaf father, has released a fundraising video and website for a film she has written and will also star in, about a Deaf girl’s challenges with communication.
£4,500 has already been raised of the £10,000 target.
Watch the video below (if subtitles don’t appear, click here to view it on the fundraising site, and check the subtitle option is selected)”
The film’s synopsis is:
Set in rural England, we follow the story of profoundly deaf child, Libby and her middle-class family; consisting of 2 elder siblings, both high achievers. A constantly overwhelmed mother and a workaholic husband. The family are uneducated about their daughters deafness and are in search of a way to ‘normalise’ her. It’s not until they employ the help of a deaf-specialised social worker that it becomes apparent that it’s not Libby’s disability that is limiting her.
Rachel told us: “It’s based on a true story and it’s a story that needs to be told. Communication is the beating heart of everything we do and no child should be denied that opportunity.”
Help support the film by clicking here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-silent-child-short-film#/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to turn on captions on your smartphone
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children