There were celebrations on the south coast of England this weekend as dozens of Deaf people cheered on Deafblind runner James Clarke as he gained his 100th running medal, a challenge which has taken him eight years to complete.
James is 38 years old and has Usher Syndrome. His challenge included full marathons, half marathons, and runs of 20 miles, 16 miles and 10 kilometres. He has completed runs in countries across Europe.
His final run took place in Saltdean, near Brighton. He is pictured with his supporters below (James is in the centre, wearing a red vest with ‘100’ written on it!).
Over the last eight years, many Deaf people have followed his progress via his Facebook page, where he says:
“In the future when my vision will be very limited and I want to remember these 100 run medals by holding, feeling them and looked back with a pride.”
James told us:
“After I crossed the finish line at Saltdean with a line of supporters and the runners is something I’ll never forget. I feel my message has already reached the world and advise anybody never, never, and never said “you can’t, you should’t and you better not” on anything what deafblind / usher people want to achieve, because of their limited ambition. Of course my ambitions are very limited due to my deafblindness but 100 medals in 8 years is not impossible.”
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people