The University of Manchester has set up a ground-breaking and important study called Breaking the Silence, into abuse and d/Deaf people, an area which has stayed hidden from wider view.
There are BSL videos on their website which can be viewed here. The text on their website says:
This research study has been set up to find out more about abuse and d/Deaf people. We want to find out about the best opportunities for d/Deaf people to be able to talk about abuse. We want to know what are the barriers that stop people from talking about this.
It is a sensitive research study, but very important because there is little information and very few d/Deaf people have been able to talk about the abuse that has happened to them in the past.
By finding out and understanding more about the experiences of d/Deaf people and why they kept quiet for years, as well as what would have helped them to speak about or report abuse, will help d/Deaf children and adults in the future to feel more confident about reporting and will help to stop abuse.
Project approved by the University of Manchester Research Ethics Committee (Ref. 16323).
Find out more on this page: https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/research/nursing-groups/social-research-with-deaf-people/breaking-the-silence/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. How to make Live Automated Captions with Apple’s Latest 'Clips' App
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people