The University of Manchester has set up a ground-breaking and important study called Breaking the Silence, into abuse and d/Deaf people, an area which has stayed hidden from wider view.
There are BSL videos on their website which can be viewed here. The text on their website says:
This research study has been set up to find out more about abuse and d/Deaf people. We want to find out about the best opportunities for d/Deaf people to be able to talk about abuse. We want to know what are the barriers that stop people from talking about this.
It is a sensitive research study, but very important because there is little information and very few d/Deaf people have been able to talk about the abuse that has happened to them in the past.
By finding out and understanding more about the experiences of d/Deaf people and why they kept quiet for years, as well as what would have helped them to speak about or report abuse, will help d/Deaf children and adults in the future to feel more confident about reporting and will help to stop abuse.
Project approved by the University of Manchester Research Ethics Committee (Ref. 16323).
Find out more on this page: https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/research/nursing-groups/social-research-with-deaf-people/breaking-the-silence/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people