Did you know there are currently no suitable assessments for Autism in deaf children?
This is worrying because Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is more commonly diagnosed in deaf children compared to hearing children. Without a suitable test, this could mean there are deaf children being misdiagnosed or not being diagnosed at all.
This is where the Child Orientated Mental Health Intervention Centre (or COMIC for short!) research team come in. We are working on a project called Diagnostic Instruments for Autism in Deaf Children’s Study (DIADS for short – all these long names require lots of abbreviations!).
This is funded by the Medical Research Council. This team have really grown over the past few months and we have now have staff members based over the whole of England from London to the Midlands to York!
The whole team believes passionately in improving services for deaf children and this project has been years of work in the making, with knowledge and experience of 39 international experts who work with deaf children with autism!
We have adapted three different autism assessments to make them more accessible for deaf children. They have been translated into British Sign Language (BSL) for those where BSL is their preferred language. We want to find out if these three assessments can detect deaf children with ASD and deaf children without ASD.
To make this happen, we are currently recruiting 260 families across the country to take part in the research.
We are looking for:
- 65 deaf children without ASD
- 65 deaf children with ASD
- 65 hearing children with ASD
- 65 additional deaf children without ASD to do the screening assessments.
This is really important research and we could make a real difference to deaf children’s lives in the future. We would love for you to get involved and every single person really makes a different to this project!
As another additional inventive incentive – you get a £40 Amazon Voucher per child once you’ve finished to spend on whatever you like! All travel expenses are also covered.
If you would like further information, or are interested in your child taking part in the study then please contact the research team at:
Telephone: 01904 294828
Address: COMIC, IT Centre, Innovation Way, Heslington, York, YO10 5NP
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people