The Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) is extending its offer of semi-integrated British Sign Language performances (BSL) for its latest season.
The Earthworks, Myth and Julius Caesar, all performed in Stratford-Upon-Avon, will each feature a BSL performance which sees an interpreter work alongside the actors on stage, in costume as part of the show.
Audiences can also find out more about the play with a BSL Theatre Tour which will give people the chance to explore a range of wigs and costumes from the productions.
The one-hour tour will be led by a British Sign Language interpreter and theatre goers can also take part in a special free interpreted post-show talk on the play.
The Earthworks / Myth
The Other Place: 24 May – 17 June 2017
British Sign Language Performance: Tuesday, 13 June, 2017, 7.30pm
British Sign Language Theatre Tour: Tuesday, 13 June, 2017, 5pm-6pm
The Royal Shakespeare Theatre: until 9 September 2017
British Sign Language Performance: Monday, August 14, 2017, 7.15pm
British Sign Language Theatre Tour: Monday, August 14 2017, 5pm-6pm
Erica Whyman, RSC Deputy Artistic Director said:
“I am very pleased and proud that we are extending our commitment to integrated British Sign Language performances. I have been committed for a long time to working with Deaf actors and with BSL interpreters to integrate sign language in a way which is accessible to a Deaf and hearing audience. I was delighted when we were able to introduce this initiative at the RSC with The Christmas Truce in 2014 and then with our first Shakespeare on A Midsummer Night’s Dream: A Play for the Nation in 2016. We have quickly built a receptive audience for this work so I am looking forward to this next season very much.”
To book tickets and for more information on the RSC’s access work visit: www.rsc.org.uk/your-visit/
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Rayovac: Never run out of hearing aid batteries again by subscribing!
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out how to add Live Captions to Facebook Live!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people