This is a sponsored post from Soho Theatre.
In the run-up to submissions opening for this year’s Verity Bargate Award, we will be running two workshops with live speech-to-text translation at Soho Theatre. To reserve your £30 ticket, please email Deirdre@sohotheatre.com.
VBA WORKSHOP WITH PHOEBE ECLAIR-POWELL AND THERESA IKOKO
Sat 29 April, 10am £30
How do you write a play that makes the Verity Bargate Award shortlist? 2015 shortlisted-writers Phoebe Eclair-Powell and Theresa Ikoko share their favourite exercises and advice for writers who are starting out.
VBA WORKSHOP WITH JAMES GRAHAM: STRUCTURE AND STORYTELLING
Sat 20 May, 10am, £30
Need some tips for structuring your story? This intensive workshop, led by James Graham, will help you hone your storytelling skills as the Verity Bargate Award submissions window approaches.
*A limited number of bursaries are available for these events, for those receiving Job Seeker’s Allowance, welfare benefits, or participants who are in need of additional access support. Please contact Deirdre@sohotheatre.com for details.
SEEKING STAND OUT NEW WRITING TALENT
The Verity Bargate Award is Soho Theatre’s biennial award with a 35 year history of discovering stand out new writing talent. Established in 1982 to honour our co-founder, past winners include Vicky Jones, Thomas Eccleshare, Insook Chappell, Matt Charman, Bonnie Greer, Toby Whithouse. The VBA looks for extraordinary voices, and unique styles which stand out from the crowd and tell inspiring unheard stories. The winner receives £7000 in respect of an exclusive option for Soho Theatre to produce their play.
Character 7 Award:
Alongside the Verity Bargate Award, our sponsor Character 7 will be offering one writer the opportunity to develop their storytelling skills for TV drama. The writer will be drawn from the Verity Bargate Award longlist, awarded a grant and tasked with developing a number of ideas with a view to optioning one of them to take to script.
– The Verity Bargate Award is open to writers resident in the UK or Ireland who had fewer than three professional productions (defined as those produced under ITC/TMA/WGGB contracts)
– You can submit one unproduced, unpublished full-length play (no shorter than 70 minutes)
– There is no restriction on subject matter. Musicals and other forms of theatre are welcome but will only be judged on the text submitted
The winner of this year’s award will be expected to attend a ceremony later in the year.
How to apply:
Please email your submission, along with contact details and a CV detailing all works produced to email@example.com between 31 May and 5 July (12 midday)
For full list of guidelines click here.
The Verity Bargate Award is sponsored by Character 7.
Character 7, founded by Stephen Garrett, is a television and film production company behind award-winning hit The Night Manager. It works with distinguished names and new creative voices to tell ambitious stories for global audiences.
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out 7 things deaf people want you to know!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Hearing Choices: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people