The National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) has released a fact sheet of the charity’s 10 ‘asks’ for the General Election. The fact sheet can be downloaded by clicking here: Election Briefing NDCS.
The summary says:
Deafness is not a learning disability and, with the right support, deaf children should be achieving as well as other children. Despite this, Government figures show that too many deaf children are still failing to get the support they need from public services.
This factsheet sets out the key areas where we’re calling for action on education, health, welfare and social care from the new Government from June 2017.
In particular, we’re calling on the next Government to take action to:
ensure that funding for services for deaf children is sufficient
inspect the quality of education services for deaf children
set up a new bursary scheme to recruit Teachers of the Deaf
establish a new British Sign Language GCSE
improve data collection so that we know how many deaf children there are and what outcomes they achieve
ensure deaf young people can access specialist careers advice
revamp the Access to Work employment support scheme
make it easier for deaf young people to become apprentices
ensure children’s audiology services are fit for purpose by making it a requirement they accredit under the Improving Quality in Physiological Services (IQIPS) programme
rule out any cuts or narrowing of eligibility criteria to welfare support for disabled children and young people.
Find out more about the NDCS on their website: http://www.ndcs.org.uk/
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about the Deaf fashion bloggers taking on the world!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Cast Theatre, Doncaster: The UK's the UK’s first fully BSL integrated pantomime
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people