A German sign language publishing company, Karin Kestner, has released an article stating that the parents of a 2yr old deaf child are allegedly being taken to court over their decision not to give the child cochlear implants.
According to the information from Karin Kestner, Dr. Andreas Gerstner, a chief ENT consultant at Braunschweig city hospital, reported the parents to the Youth Welfare Office, after they refused bilateral cochlear implantation for their child. The Youth Welfare Officer referred the case to the Family Court, and the case will have its first hearing on 20th November.
Gerstner was quoted by Karin Kestner as stating that in cases where medical treatment can have a serious impact on the patient’s lifestyle, the caregivers alone should not make the final decision, but should have ‘external support’.
This is a landmark case, as for the first time in Germany a judge will decide indirectly on the fate of all newborn Deaf children. The outcome of this court case will set a precedent, which will impact on around 1000 children born each year. If the child receives cochlear implants, this case may become an expected standard for all future cases.
Karin Kestner wonder who the external experts are, who will be consulted, and whether or not parents (Deaf or hearing) should not be allowed to decide on their child’s life and lifestyle by themselves.
By Emily Howlett.
Original articles (in German) here:
The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne. Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.
The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:
- Eyewitness Media: TV and film from a Deaf perspective
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. Find out about 5 funny ways to use captions!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Signature: Leading awarding body for BSL qualifications
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- Signworld: Learn BSL online!
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- Association of Notetaking Professionals: The professional body representing Electronic and Manual Notetakers
- Sign Solutions: communication support, training and translation
- InterpretersLive: On demand BSL video interpretation
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- deafPLUS: BSL advice helpline
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children
- Royal Shakespeare Company: Captioned and BSL interpreted performances (see dates here)
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people