Deaf News: Deaf couple’s bungalow blast was arson, say police

Posted on August 16, 2013


The deaf couple that survived an explosion in their home this week thanks to new vibrating smoke alarms were victims of arson, police have revealed.

Leicestershire police were told by fire service investigators that petrol was used to start a fire, which then led to an explosion that demolished much of the building. The explosion also put out the fire, the BBC reports. The couple were unable to leave the property and had to be pulled to safety through a smashed window.

Extract:

Det Sgt Dave Speight said it was lucky the blast did not kill someone.

“There is quite a lot of structural damage – we are assuming it will probably have to be demolished,” he added.

“The two victims are doing OK now but are having to stay at a friend’s house.

“Whoever set this fire will probably have injured themselves. The way it was started it would have caused a flashback causing burns to the hands or arms.”

Detectives are keen to speak to two men who were seen nearby at the time and were wearing high-visibility vests who may have witnessed the fire.

Police say that the people who started the fire could be suffering burns from to their hands. The couple are now staying with friends.

Keep an eye out for burns to the hands and report anything suspicious to the police.

Via Tony Barlow

The Limping Chicken is the UK’s independent deaf news and blogs website, posting the very latest in deaf opinion, commentary and news, every weekday! Don’t forget to follow the site onTwitter and Facebook, and check out our supporters here.

The Limping Chicken is the world's most popular Deaf blog, and is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.  Find out how to write for us by clicking here, how to follow us by clicking here, and read our disclaimer here.

The site exists thanks to our supporters. Check them out below:

 

Tagged:
Posted in: deaf news