The British Society for Mental Health and Deafness (a supporter of this site) would like to wish everyone a happy and stress free holiday season.
For many this is a wonderful time of the year; to be with their loved ones, exchanging gifts, good food and drinking- but sadly it can also be a very stressful time too!
As Charlie Swinbourne pointed out in his article this morning (“12 tips to ensure that Deaf people aren’t left out at Christmas”), for many Deaf people, visiting family or friends can sometimes lead to difficult communication situations, and this can add tension and additional stress, even leading to anxiety.
For people affected by mental health issues, it can be especially challenging, because others expect you to be happy, joyful and sociable -when you may not feel up to it. This can result in our ‘stress bucket’ becoming full and overflowing.
Charlie has highlighted some excellent tips, especially for BSL users where having someone to communicate with in their own language can make an enormous difference to the enjoyment of the day and lead to a more relaxing time.
We hear of stories where hearing family seem to think it is OK to give the Deaf member a DVD and tell them to go and watch it whilst they chat amongst themselves!
So BSMHD would just like to say; during the holiday season, take time out for yourself (relaxation or quiet time) and look out for others who may be in need of your support at this time. ALGEE my friends! (if you don’t know what it means, then you might benefit from one of our deaf friendly Mental Health first aid courses.)
You can also contact the Samaritans by email using the email address email@example.com, or by using the Next Generation Text service to call your local Samaritans branch.
Happy New year for 2017 everybody!
The Limping Chicken is the UK’s deaf blogs and news website, and is the world’s most popular deaf blog. It is edited by Deaf journalist and filmmaker Charlie Swinbourne.
Please note that the views of the writers are their own, and not necessarily the views of the Editor or site as a whole. Read our disclaimer here.
- Phonak: innovative technology and products in hearing acoustics
- Ai-Media: Remote captioning. 5 tips for travelling with hearing loss!
- Bellman & Symfon: home alerting solutions
- Deaf Umbrella: sign language interpreting and communications support
- Clarion: BSL/English interpreting and employment services
- Appa: Communication services for Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people
- Signature: Find out about the Signature conference here.
- SignVideo: Instant BSL video interpreting online
- 121 Captions: captioning and speech-to-text services
- Hearing Direct: Online hearing aids
- The National Theatre: Captioned and BSL accessible theatre in London
- Doncaster School for the Deaf: education for Deaf children
- SignLive: Online video interpreting for Deaf people
- Royal School for the Deaf, Derby: Residential education for deaf children
- RAD Tax Advice: Tax and Tax Credit info for Deaf people
- Deaf Independent: Deaf care and support services
- Signworld: online BSL learning and teaching materials
- Performance Interpreting: BSL interpreting at concerts
- National Deaf Children's Society: The leading charity for deaf children
- DCAL: Find out how to study at the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre, London
- cSeeker: Deaf-led educational communication support service
- Signed Culture: Advocating for BSL access to arts and culture
- Sarah Gatford: BSL interpreting, training and consultancy
- SignHealth: healthcare charity for Deaf people
- CJ Interpreting: communication support in BSL
- Sign Solutions:, language and learning
- Action Deafness Communications: sign language and Red Dot online video interpreting
- BSLcourses.co.uk: Provider of online BSL courses
- British Society for Mental Health and Deafness: Promoting positive mental health for deaf people
- deafPLUS: Money advice line in BSL
- Hamilton Lodge School in Brighton: education for Deaf children
- Lipspeaker UK: specialist lipspeaking support
- Ozen: Australian hearing aid specialists
- Elmfield School, Bristol: Inclusive education for Deaf pupils
- Exeter Deaf Academy: education for Deaf children